The 12 Steps
There are a lot of treatment programs for addiction in the United States. Most of them follow an abstinence-based approach to treating substance abuse. However, each program is unique in its approach to how they treat substance abuse. Some use a totally holistic approach that includes therapies such as acupuncture, massage, and nutritional changes. Others are very heavily therapy based and patients spend much of their week in multiple different types of therapies. So what is the program that GateHouse uses for addiction treatment? Is it a twelve steps drug rehab program? What does their program for addiction recovery look like? How did they come to find the program they have?
What are the 12 Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous?
- We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable.
- Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
- Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
- Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
- Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
- Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
- Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
- Made a list of all persons we had harmed and became willing to make amends to them all.
- Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
- Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
- Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
- Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
12 Steps to Recovery Explained
Well, it started with the 12 steps.
GateHouse Treatment was solely based on a strong 12 step drug rehab program, and it makes sense. With over 2 million members in Alcoholics Anonymous alone and over 20 million of us in recovery, it has been shown to work where many other therapies fail. So, with a simple standard of committing yourself to a 12-step based drug rehab program, the first modality or facet of GateHouse Treatment began; but it didn’t stop there. The founders and CEO of GateHouse Treatment realized that they would be selling the men they were helping short by only using the solutions provided in the 12 steps. They decided to begin providing therapy to the men and women they were treating as well as teaching life skills. And for good reason as the GateHouse CEO explained, “Leading research tells us that CBT and DBT are two of the most effective modalities in treating persons with substance abuse and misuse disorders. These methods have been proven time and time again and it is important that GateHouse Treatment offers the most effective and progressive treatment modalities to their census. We want results. Lives are on the line and we take our commitment to be best-in-class very seriously.”
Two Major Therapies in Accordance with the 12 Steps
The two major therapies GateHouse Treatment focuses on, but does not limit themselves to, are Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and Dialectal Behavioral Therapy (DBT), as mentioned above. These two focuses together in accordance with the 12 steps provide a whole solution. And while this is merely the foundation of the program and not its entirety (GateHouse offers a wide range of therapies and boasts strong alumni and family program) it is a strong core that is proven to work. The 12-steps provide mindfulness techniques, community and connection, awareness, and spirituality. The therapies provide further real-life solutions, continued action, resolution of trauma, and deeper insight into what drives our ways of thinking and how we react to the world around us. CBT being focused more inward while DBT being focused more on the interactions with the rest of the world.
GateHouse Treatment knows, with the use of these two therapies and a-12 step drug rehab program as the pillars for their program, they are giving men and women who truly want to get better everything they need to do so, and it is working. More and more men and women are finding the permanent sobriety they have sought for. With simple solutions based on research and proven efficacy, the disease of addiction can be overcome. When men and women leave GateHouse Treatment, they not only know how to maintain their recovery, they also know how to handle themselves and the world around them. They leave with the skills required to become successful members of their community and many of them become leaders in every aspect of their lives.
Are You Looking for a 12 Step Program?
If you’re asking yourself or a loved one, can I find a 12-step drug rehab program near me? Contact GateHouse Treatment today. Call us at (855)448-3588. We are available to you 24/7. You can heal, we can help!
- Addiction Morality: GateHouse Treatment Explores the Arguments from All Sides - March 14, 2023
- Entering Rehab: 4 Effective Tips to Communicate Your Decision - March 14, 2023
- The Dangers of Heroin Addiction: 5 Important Facts to Know - March 14, 2023