How Does Alcoholism Effect Single Mothers
When most people think about parents struggling with alcohol addiction, it’s common for people to undermine the struggles of a single mother with alcohol addiction. But believe it or not, alcohol addiction for single mothers is a constant uphill battle. Even if a single mother doesn’t think that she has an addiction, her excessive habits can be more severe than she thinks. And without the right treatment, alcohol abuse can take any single mother on a downhill spiral.
Chances are if you know a single mother struggling with alcohol abuse you may have already seen the destruction begin to take its course. And the worst part is, the symptoms of alcohol abuse don’t just affect single mothers, alcohol addiction also has a traumatic effect on children. In some cases, alcohol addiction can traumatize children for life.
So, how do you help a single mother struggling with alcohol addiction and raising a family? How do you help your mother stay strong when her greatest weakness is alcohol addiction? If you’re not sure how to help your mother with her alcohol addiction, check out our women’s drug addiction rehab treatment guide.
We think once you read this, you will better be able to help a single mother in need get the alcohol addiction rehab treatment that she needs.
Why Do Single Mothers Turn To Alcohol Abuse?
According to Psychology Today, the top five reasons why mothers turn to alcohol are stress, anxiety, romantic relationships, family pressure, traumatic experience, and hormones. If you can, just imagine how stressful a single mother’s life is. With all of the pressures and stress, parents are always looking for an outlet. But as most people forget, alcohol is never the solution to your problems.
Alcohol abuse claims thousands of lives. According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, “an estimated 88,000 people die from alcohol-related causes annually, making alcohol the third leading preventable cause of death in the United States.” Not to mention, women are more likely to experience life-threatening symptoms from alcohol abuse. So, what else can cause a single mother to break down into alcohol addiction and put her life at risk?
- Raising a child alone: The responsibility of raising a child as a single parent can be exhausting. Not to mention, parenting alone can have high demands. Children have a wide range of needs, and every parent wants to give their child the best life possible. Therefore, this can be extremely stressful, especially whenever you are working with the little that you have. Single mothers must learn that alcohol isn’t the way out, alcohol abuse only makes the situation worse. Chronic mood swings, blackouts, and argumentative behaviors are just some of the symptoms of alcohol abuse in single mothers.
- Happiness: In all reality, some single mothers depend on alcohol to be happy. In essence, more and more single mothers are becoming alcohol dependent. And once this happens, everyone suffers. Especially children who love their parents and want their love and affection. The child will do everything in their power to gain their parent’s love. However, the only time their parents may show them the affection that they need is under the influence. But the truth is, this isn’t what love should be. Therefore, parents need to learn how to love themselves and love their children. At the same time, parents should consider finding better ways to find happiness in their life.
- Gave Up Goals For Children: Some single mothers tend to believe that their life ended once they had their children. However, this is not the case. Their life has truly just begun. But most single mothers don’t understand that their children should be their drive for success. At the same time, single mothers with an alcohol addiction should also learn that they are setting an example for their children. Therefore, they should take the right steps to prevent their children from becoming addicted to alcohol
- Lonely: Being alone and depressed can also trigger a harsh cycle of alcohol abuse. In some cases, this can cause a single mother to resent her children. But the truth is, single mothers are never alone. They are always surrounded by love whenever they have children.
How Does Alcoholism Effect Single Mothers
If you come from a one-parent home with a single mother, you can probably imagine how scary it would be to lose your mother to alcohol addiction. Especially, knowing that it could have been prevented. Therefore, it’s essential to help your parents get the alcohol addiction rehab treatment that they need. Believe it or not, your parents will listen if you tell them about your concern. If you’re not sure what to say to them about alcohol addiction check this out:
- Women are at higher risk for the effects of alcohol
- Liver Damage: In comparison to men, women experience liver disease quicker than men. Women are also more likely to develop alcoholic hepatitis or die from cirrhosis
- Brain Damage: Excessive alcohol abuse in women can cause severe brain damage. In some cases, alcohol addiction can be one of the leading causes of Alzheimer’s.
- Heart Disease: Heavy drinkers experience volatile heart palpitations. In essence, this can be the root of severe heart attacks in women. At the same time, this can also cause anxiety in single mothers
- Traffic Crashes: Heavy drinking habits can lead to severe car crashes. For starters, drinking alcohol impairs your vision and makes it hard to see on the road. Alcohol consumption also disrupts cognitive judgments. Therefore, women are likely to crash under the influence
- Traumatized Children: Child abuse is common amongst women struggling with alcohol abuse. And just as you might imagine, child abuse is not always physical. Some children can also experience mental child abuse.
- Children Follow In The Foot Steps Of A Parent: If parents aren’t careful, their children may also turn to alcohol to solve their problems. According to the National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health, single-parent families are more like to influence their children to become alcoholics.
What Is The Best Solution For Single Mothers With Alcoholic Addiction
All in all, the trials and tribulations of being a single mother are difficult. But, no one should ever turn to alcohol addiction as their escape. With this in mind, we would like to offer our women’s alcohol addiction rehab treatment facility. We have created a safe and healthy therapy treatment for women to overcome their alcohol addiction. And, we are confident that our professional drug rehab therapist can help your mother change her life. If this sounds interesting to you, contact us today. Let us help your mother with her alcohol addiction. Don’t wait. Contact us today at (855) 448-3588.
- Court-Ordered Rehab: Drug Court Programs In Nashua, NH - September 20, 2023
- Alcoholism: 9 Ways It Affects Lives Beyond Drinking - September 20, 2023
- The Relationship Between Childhood Trauma and Addiction - June 7, 2023