GateHouse Treatment has many inquiries about our sober recovery from potential participants and one of the most asked questions is, “What is an IOP and how can it help me?” because we love sharing information and success stories. Utilizing our tips for coping with addiction means our participants are able to come and go from our facility and practice these techniques every time they encounter triggers and other scenarios in the real world. For example, socializing while being sober.
It is pretty common for social gatherings to involve alcohol, and it can be difficult to deal with these particular situations. Wanting to be present in your own life while avoiding triggers can be tricky, but there are some easy solutions to these problems.
- Inform your friends. Though you might find this conversation uncomfortable or difficult, telling your friends and loved ones can lift a burden off your shoulders. True friends will be supportive of your limitations around alcohol, and often ask how they can help.
- Consider sober locations and activities. Not only do you have the opportunity to meet people away from an alcohol setting and even possibly find other sober friends, you have an alcohol-free option for places to meet old friends instead of the bar.
- Find a mocktail you love. For some, it can be easier to go out and appear to be drinking to avoid possible questions from strangers. If you find yourself in an alcohol setting, have a go-to alcohol-free drink you will be happy to drink without the fear of relapse.
- Push through those first few outings. Know your limitations and avoid alcohol completely when you’re not feeling 100% confident in yourself, but also do not allow your anxiety to run your new life. Have a plan set in place to leave a setting where you feel triggered, and remember the first few outings are often the most difficult.
It might feel impossible, but sober recovery is an option. If you or someone you know suffers from addiction and could use the assistance of addiction support, get in touch with us at GateHouse Treatment Centers. We have the tools to assist with withdrawal prevention, relapse prevention, 12-step programs, and sobriety skills. Contact us today at (855) 448-3588. We are available to you 24/7!
- Court-Ordered Rehab: Drug Court Programs In Nashua, NH - September 20, 2023
- Alcoholism: 9 Ways It Affects Lives Beyond Drinking - September 20, 2023
- The Relationship Between Childhood Trauma and Addiction - June 7, 2023